In case anyone is wondering why I am posting all these things for others but not posting any crafty goodness of my own... I have been busy working on my annual treat to myself. Let me explain - every March at our local middle school, they perform a musical. I have been volunteering to help with the musical since my oldest daughter was there for 7th and 8th grade. Now my youngest daughter is there in 7th grade but she is not in the play. Both of my girls are helping with backstage, props and helping the kids learn their lines. This will be my 5th play - I could not give it up the last two years when I had no children at the school :) I started out doing props when Layna was in 7th for Seussical and continued with props when she was in 8th for Beauty and the Beast but that year I also started being "on book" which meant that I was there every day helping the kids with their lines, following along with the script and feeding them lines if needed. Then came Peter Pan (how could I resist?) and then Wizard of Oz last year. I have been "on book" ever since but last year I was kind of an assistant director. I never planned to be any kind of director and have never had theater experience, but over the years I guess I have kind of grown into the position. This year we are doing The Sound of Music! Our main director is fabulous - she teaches dance at the school - and the theater/music teacher helps also and then there is me :) We have a whole crew of ladies that help with costumes, a bunch of people that help with scenery, a budget you would not even believe. I love it! I could never be a director - the kids would walk all over me and we would never have a production - but I love what I do. I have been doing more directing this year - Nanette (the director) has really involved me in decisions and asks my opinion about scenes and such. It is a lot of fun, but does not leave me much time for crafting. I am working on some props for the play - made a little book for Brigitta with chipboard covers and sketch paper that I covered with paper and made it look like a little French book - but most of the props have been rented so I am mainly doing directing and helping the kids. We start rehearsals right after Christmas break and go every day Monday thru Friday after school for 2-1/2 hours and on Saturdays from 9-1. So I have been pretty busy but I can't give it up! We have the scenery already and we rented it from the Utah Festival Opera - oh it is so beautiful! I will post some pictures as we get going.
Here are some pictures from the last few years:
Beauty and the Beast
 |
| My daughter Layna as Cindy Lou Who for Seussical (she will kill me if she sees this) |
Wizard of Oz
Munchkin Land
Dorothy's house in Kansas
Yes, we flew the witch!
Don't have many pictures to share. Most I have saved onto CDs and removed from my computer. I always make a scrapbook of the plays although I am always behind! I usually finish one just in time for the next one to start, but as of right now, I am still working on Peter Pan and have not started Wizard of Oz.
So, after about the middle of March, maybe I will have time to do join some challenges and such. In the meantime, I have just enough time to read the blogs I follow and do some hopping which is very fun too :)
Take care and God Bless
Nice pics ! and keep help your local school... they need people like you !
ReplyDeleteThanks for leave a comment in my blog !
Have a great Thursday ;-)
http://mariaelenaworld.blogspot.com/