Monday, April 23, 2012

Some organizational thoughts

Hey bloggie friends!  Hey are you all tonight?  I have been puttering around working on my craft room here and there, but not making a lot of progress.  Working on cleaning out the closet so I can put my boxes of fabric in there to make more room out in the main part of my room.  I have decided that I will put my embellishments in my 7-drawer rolling cart.  Hoping they will all fit in there so I can keep them together.  I have made a list of everything I can think of and put them in groups such as:  Paper, Embellishments, Tools,, etc.  I had stickers in my embellishment list but I am afraid those are going to have to be their own category - I have a ton of those.  Don't use them a lot on my cards, but I do on my scrapbooks which I need to get back to so not going to get rid of them :)


I do have something to share tonight though on the lines of organization.  This will probably only be a good tip for my followers in the states, but there might be something similar in other countries.  There is a website you can check out www.publicsurplus.com - this is government surplus and includes things from schools, hospitals, and other government buildings that they auction off.  Some of you may know about this already, but just in case you don't, this is an amazing option for picking up things fairly cheaply and usually in pretty good shape or easily fixable.  Once you go to the site, you can then pick your state and browse everything. I have bought everything from my piano (which was an old elementary school piano and I love it) for $75 to Stampin' Up Ink spots for $2.00 for a set of 12, to Art easels at $2 (these are nice art easels that are adjustable for paintings up to 3 feet in diameter!  


Some pictures of things available in my state at this moment:
This is a map cart, the drawers slide out so it would be great for all kinds of things.  The bid for this is currently at $32.00 and it is close to my house so this is really tempting though I would really rather have one of the ones below :)

This is a blueprint cabinet and the current high bid is $40.  I have been wanting one of these forever and even though I would have to drive an hour each direction to get it, it is so worth it.  I have been wanting one to put my wet paintings in, but this would also be great for holding paper, ink pads, embellishments, and the list goes on.  

Same thing as above, but the bid for this one is currently at $52.00

This little cubbie is currently at $5.50.  It is again in Logan about an hour or so away from me, but isn't this a great little organizer?  The measurements say 
41 3/4" X 18 1/4" X 32" deep, but I am not sure that is correct - those might be mixed up a bit.  But I am thinking Copics (although I don't own any), colored pencils, paint brushes, longer strips of scrap paper/borders, maybe even ink pads.  

Another idea that I have seen on this site several times but have never bought is silverware holders - the kind they have at schools or restaurants. I have been looking at these for a while thinking they would be good to hold my paint brushes, but today it occurred to me that they would be great for holding all kinds of things!  There are not any on my site at this moment, some sold earlier today which is what made me think about them.  

So, back to sorting for me.  I hope you found this post helpful and that you will check it out!  Hugs!

God Bless,
Becky

17 comments:

  1. My husband built me a desk with a shelf on the back. It has little cubbies like the bottom photo and I love them! I store all my ink pads, acrylic blocks, and copic markers in them. I have the markers sorted by color. It's really nice to be able to just grab the markers I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for stopping by The Rubber Cafe' blog- I thought I'd stop by and I am intrigued by the site you are bidding on items! I'm working on organizing my studio which holds both scrapbooking and sewing areas. I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Karen! I have several areas in my craft room too - or at least I will when I finish getting it organized :) I have subscribed to you by email because I LOVE everything you create - so over the top gorgeous and I don't want to miss a single project! I want to be able to create projects like yours so I have marked you as a particular inspiration - hope you don't mind :) Hope your dad had a wonderful birthday!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is some really neat stuff! A lot of it looks like the things we had at the Census Bureau when I worked there (I'm now retired) never thought of it from a scrapbook perspective!

    Hugs,

    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  4. just dropping by to say thank you for your lovely comments and visits...Have a lovely weekend...
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. you'd get loads of storage ideas on Pinterest ;) lol
    Debz
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh I am thinking that site could be addicitve! Thanks for the link- off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am in so much trouble- I didn't know about the surplus site! Thanks for sharing
    Just wanted to pop in and thank you for visiting and entering my giveaway this week- make sure you check back and enter each weeks giveaway...good Luck sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, my friend!!! Thanks for stopping by!!!

    OMG, I am soooooo disorganized!!! And I too have been working trying to get my craft room is some "decent" kind of order this past week -- just not doing a great job! Tooo much stuff everywhere... lol!!!

    I wish I had more room to use some of the great organizers on this site, but thanks so much for the info!!!

    Good luck, Becky -- and please bless me with the same luck, I need it... lol!!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, seriously! I had NO IDEA that this existed! And that blueprint cabinet makes me swoon! I would definitely drive an hour there and back for that ;)
    Thank you for your visit and yay, Summer of Color! Looking forward to seeing you there, Kristin xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, my sweet Becky! Just dropped by to say hi, and good luck in my RAK giveaway!

    I'll be seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it ALL! Want it ALL! lol I love fun orgaization! Thanks for sharing Becky1

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Becky!
    Probably tonight, I won't be able to sleep well, just by thinking about that cabinet! haha! Thanks for leaving a sweet comment on my blog. Hope you keep on following. Good luck on my giveaway! Thanks for visiting Sisters Craft Cafe.

    -Venus

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tip Becky - I know loads of people will find that helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go for the copics storage - love it - paint and crackle glaze it...it would look stunning
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! So happy you're looking forward to another colorful Summer! Thank you for your visit and can't wait till next week . . . xo

    ReplyDelete