Sunday, April 1, 2012

Craft room lists

So next in my craft room cleanse is to make some lists, look at what I have and what I need, not to mention what I want :)

My craft room assets:
1.  I have an actual room!  I need to measure it.
2.  I already have cupboards built in - metal so I have built in magnetic boards :)
3.  I have lightweight tables that can be set up or stored.
4.  I have 3 closets in my room, including a full length "clothes" closet, a cubby closet that is probably meant for brooms/ironing board - it is deep and narrow, and an under-the-stairs closet which is of course packed with stuff that I need to go through (story of my life).
5.  I have 2 large cabinets from Costco - they are metal with shelves inside - lots of space for crafting goodies, but they are not currently in my craft room.  They are, however, mostly empty.  I had my craft supplies in there in my laundry room, then started moving stuff to my new craft room which quickly got unorganized and messy - how did that happen?  They were in my craft room at one time so I know they will fit.
6.  I have a 7-drawer rolling thingy - also from Costco, currently filled with stickers and alphas and scrap paper.
7.  I have several baskets and boxes for organizing already so really I don't need to buy anything except maybe something for my ribbons.  That does not mean I don't WANT to buy anything!  However, since my budget right now is totally shot, I will be working with what I have.


What do I want in/from my craft room?
1. Organization and space - uh huh, that is why I am doing this lol
2. Separate craft spaces - I do a lot of paper crafting, cards and albums, etc., but I also oil paint - mostly Plein Air (outside) landscapes but I would really like to do some "studio painting", some still life and some landscapes.  Right now, I have no place to set up an easel in my craft room.  So I need a space that is specifically for painting.
3. I would love some "natural light" sources besides my one small window - not in the budget at the moment, but will have to work on that.
4. For my paper crafting, I want to be able to see everything at a glance.  I don't mind if my stuff is in my cabinets with the doors closed, but when I open the doors, I want to be able to see everything.    My paper especially - I have lots and I want to store it so I can see it all.  I have thought of stacking it flat in one of my cabinets by color or on my shelves of my cupboards if they are deep enough.  I would really like those wire stacking things or the wooden ones they have at Michaels, but neither is in my budget.
5.  Heat!  I have no heater vent in my craft room so in the winter it is very cold.  Space heaters are great, but make me a little nervous when I have so much paper in the room.  So a clear space for a "safe" heater would be a great thing :)


Kate's post today talks about me... well, actually she talks about herself but she might as well be talking about me.  We are lazy crafters!  I would rather craft that put stuff away and pretty soon, my crafting space becomes too cluttered to create anything and I can't find anything.  That is when I start spreading to other areas of the house and my  hubby threatens to call Hoarders Anonymous.

So, I am going to end this post right now, but I will be back to show some creative spaces I looked at last night and some organizing tips.  I forgot to mark where I got them from so now I have to go on a scavenger hunt and find them again!

Hugs,
Becky

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention a computer! I need a computer in my craft room... That may take a little doing, but it is doable :)

    ReplyDelete